What's holding you back from taking the leap?
Sep 23, 2020
I totally get it - making the decision to quit a job with a professional services firm to go out on your own can feel risky and overwhelming. This is especially true if you don't have anyone to guide you through the journey and offer support at each step.
When I quit my job six years ago to start my own consulting company, I had probably five main fears:
- I'm not old enough to be a successful independent consultant
- No one will hire me because I'm not an expert in anything
- I'm no good at sales, so I can't possibly sell high-value engagements
- I have no idea how to replace the benefits and pension I earned from my previous employer
- I'm going to have to work alone and I'll have to do everything myself
I think this generally boiled down to a fear of failure. As a classic overachieving perfectionist, I was really scared to make this big ambitious career move only to bomb spectacularly.
Luckily, it became obvious pretty quickly that these fears were unfounded.
- Clients didn't care how old I was or that I didn't have 30 years of experience in a particular field; they wanted to hire me because I'm an excellent problem solver and strategic thinker. I can draw upon a wide range of experiences spanning multiple industries, and use a diverse set of skills.
- Sales can happen organically through word of mouth and reputation. By being authentically yourself and focusing on exceptional client service, you may find there's no need to even do "sales" to sell yourself.
- It takes some time, but you can absolutely figure out how to put your own extended health, disability insurance, and comprehensive retirement plan in place. No employer plans needed.
- There are plenty of ways to collaborate with others - you can subcontract with other companies, bring on your own associates, hire a virtual assistant, or join online communities or coaching programs.
If you're thinking about leaving your professional services firm to start your own consulting company, you will need support, guidance and advice throughout your journey. Check out my Coaching page to learn more about Take the Leap, my accelerated coaching program.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.